Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's Up Doc?

Not the Reds hit total, that's for sure.  As you most likely already know, Roy Halladay threw a no-hitter against the Reds in Game 1 of the NLDS in his first career postseason game in 11 MLB seasons making it the second one all time in the playoffs after Don Larsen's perfect game in '56 with the Yanks in the Series, so this is the first one in the playoff rounds.  I know I had picked the Reds in my Playoff Preview that was published on Wednesday, but I must remind the reader that I said, "Halladay alone is why the Phillies will win Game 1 of the series easily," so I guess I got something right.  My purpose for this post is to talk about the effect of this game on the Cincinnati Reds, who can't be too happy with their performance against Halladay.  With a day off today, though, this may have lit a fire under the Reds.  I had the Reds winning in four games, and I still see them winning a game in this series.  This will motivate the Reds, and while the Phillies and the national media are still in super-Phils mode the Reds will make Game 2 a competitive one, and win either Game 2 or Game 3.  First baseman Joey Votto said about the game, "I hate to use a hyperbole, but he's an ace among aces.  It's not fun being up there and trying to hit nothing.  Tonight was a nothing night.  Sometimes you just don't get pitches to hit."  He is respectful about the performance, but also carries that 'man, this sucks' attitude which is how he should feel after that.  The only baserunner was Jay Bruce who walked, and he said, "He threw 25 balls.  He didn't give us anything.  He just didn't make mistakes."  Dusty Baker isn't my favorite manager, not by a long shot after he was kicked out of Chicago, but he isn't fazed by this no-hitter.  He has plenty of experience around no-hitters, you could say, after being the last out of Nolan Ryan's 5th no-hitter.  So I think the Reds will take this day to forget about this whole thing and the Phillies, still focusing on Halladay, will be surprised at what the Reds give them.  The Reds are too good to go down without a fight, just ask Thom Brennaman, Reds TV play-by-play man and Reds fanatic on the air.  During an NFL broadcast on FOX last weekend, FOX showed a promo in the game which promoted the MLB Postseason on FOX, and the highlight clips showed the Reds and when Brennaman mentioned the Reds as one of the teams he said they have "undoubtedly the league MVP in Joey Votto."  That doesn't exactly sound like an objective promo.  Congrats to Halladay and the Phillies defense that did their job, but I also issue a warning, look out for this newest Big Red Machine.        

No comments:

Post a Comment